If you want to know how to get rid of wrinkles under the eyes, then you’ve come to the right place.
First, we will discuss some of the main factors that cause wrinkles under your eyes, so you can understand why they are formed and how to avoid them in the future.
Then, we will explain six completely natural ways that you can try at home to get rid of the wrinkles under your eyes.
What Causes Wrinkles Under Your Eyes?
As we age, our body gradually loses the capacity to supply enough elastin and collagen to keep our skin elastic, firm, supple and fresh.
The immediate result of this can be seen in the forming of wrinkles as the years go by. And usually, these sneaky wrinkles will start to appear in the skin around our eyes.
This patch of skin is naturally delicate because it is very thin and it does not hydrate itself.
And since we usually rub and touch our eyes, they lose moisture quickly, further helping to dehydrate the area.
Not to mention that our ever-present facial movements and expressions force the skin around the eyes to stretch, scrunch up and move.
This constant repetition plus the loss of hydration and general fragility of the skin is what causes wrinkles to appear under our eyes.
Besides that, there are other reasons that encourage the appearance of this type of wrinkles.
In order for you to visualize it better, here is a list of common causes for those pesky wrinkles under the eyes:
- The Wear and Tear Theory: which states that as we age, we gradually lose the ability to repair or produce some cells and also produce less collagen and elastin.
- Facial movements and expressions: in time, these movements start leaving marks on our skin.
- Poor facial skin care: if you don’t take care of your skin -especially your facial skin!- it will begin to show in the appearance of wrinkles. You can start out simple and make sure you at least moisturize.
- Unhealthy nutritional habits: having a high sugar diet will not do your skin any favors.
- Excessive sun exposure: the sun can help damage our skin and its healing abilities.
- Smoking: a smoker will notice wrinkles sooner than a non-smoker.
- Genetics and hereditary factors: as always, genes will shape your body and its tendencies. This also applies to your skin and the wrinkles under your eyes.
Now that you know the main causes of wrinkles under the eyes, you can decide to avoid them, if you so wish. A few simple changes to your daily routine could help you a lot.
However, if you already have wrinkles under the eyes and don’t know what to do, don’t fret. Here we offer some simple solutions you can try out.
How To Get Rid Of Wrinkles Under The Eyes
Getting rid of the wrinkles under your eyes is probably easier than you think.
You can try out any one of these six natural methods at home. If you make it a routine, you’ll be guaranteed to see favorable results.
Here is how to get rid of wrinkles under the eyes without having to resort to expensive or painful medical procedures.
1. Tighten Your Skin With An Egg White Mask:
You see, egg whites have collagen and lots of protein.
The collagen will help you fill in the wrinkles under the eye and the protein will help improve your skin’s elasticity.
Egg whites also tighten your skin and work by shrinking your pores, which will make your skin look tighter and toned.
To get rid of wrinkles under your eyes using egg white, you would have to:
- Separate two egg whites.
- Whisk them together until frothy.
- Rub all of the egg white into the skin under your eyes. It’s best if you use an upward motion.
- Let it dry for 15 minutes.
- Remove the paste from your face using lukewarm water.
- Gently pat your skin with a soft towel until it is dry.
2. Relax With A Rosemary Oil Massage:
Massaging wrinkled skin can help stimulate blood flow, which helps in removing dirt and free radicals from the skin, both a major cause of elastin and collagen breakdown.
And for a well-done massage, you need to use a lubricant in order not to hurt the skin.
We recommend using rosemary oil for quick under-eye massages because it helps tone skin and remove dryness while reducing the friction that a message can cause.
For this, you should:
- Dip your pointer and middle finger in rosemary oil.
- Rub the oil from the inside corner of your eye near your nose to the outside of your eye near your temple using gentle motions.
- Afterward, rub back toward your nose.
- Then, rub that same patch of skin in an upward motion from near your nose to your temple and back again.
- Repeat this process four more times, for a total of five repetitions in each eye.
Wear Castor Oil Overnight:
Castor oil is a moisturizer that can help keep your skin soft and supple while also getting rid of wrinkles that have formed under the eyes.
Castor oil is especially good because it not only puts moisture into the skin but also forms a barrier that keeps the moisture from evaporating.
You can give the benefits of castor oil a boost if you leave it on your skin overnight as you sleep. If you’d like to try that, we recommend you to:
- Wash your face to make sure the skin has no kind of grease, dirt or sweat.
- Dip your pointer finger in castor oil.
- Place the finger under your eye and spread the oil in a swipe that starts at your nose and ends in your temple.
- Repeat the process with your other eye.
- Go to sleep as you normally would, minding the oil on your face in order to avoid rubbing it on your pillow or covers.
Use A Refreshing Cucumber Puree:
Cucumber is a very effective way to put moisture back into your skin, especially if applied topically.
This is why using cucumber can be very beneficial for treating existing wrinkles and also for preventing the formation of new ones.
For maximum benefits, we recommend you do this:
- Cut ¼ of a cucumber and make a chunky puree out of it. You can do this by putting it in a blender or with a fork.
- Apply the mix directly to the skin under your eyes. If you cool the mix in the fridge beforehand, the benefits will be even more noticeable.
- Let the cucumber puree rest on your face for about 15 minutes.
- Once the time is up, wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Dry your face gently by patting it with a towel.
Apply Avocado Under Your Eyes:
Avocado contains carotenoids, monounsaturated fatty acids vitamin C and vitamin E, which make it a strong ally for fighting wrinkles, a powerful antioxidant, and a gentle moisturizer that helps soften and hydrate the skin.
In order to harness these benefits, we recommend to:
- Cut two small slices of avocado. If you want more notorious effects, mash them into a paste.
- Place the slices or the paste in the skin under your eyes, pressing gently as you do so.
- Let them sit for 15 minutes.
- Dispose of the slices or paste.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry gently with a towel.
Moisturize Your Skin Using Olive Oil:
Olive oil is both a moisturizer and a humectant, which means it adds moisture to the skin and also makes sure it doesn’t escape, keeping it there.
You can harness the full power of olive oil if you:
- Warm two teaspoons of olive oil in the microwave or on the stove.
- Massage the warm oil into the skin under your eyes using gentle and firm motions. Do this for 5 minutes.
- Leave the oil resting on your face for an additional 10 minutes in order to absorb the nutrients it provides.
- You can choose whether to wash it off with lukewarm water and dry your face afterward or leave it on during many hours. Olive oil can be left on overnight with no risks.